George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD)
History, Facts and Overview
(Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK)
The famous local Short Brothers aviation company is responsible for the origins of this company, when it began at their small, adjacent airfield. Dating back to 1937, the airfield was known then as the Sydenham Airport, since it was located within the ward of Sydenham. During World War II and up to the seventies, the airport was used by the military.
However, in the early eighties, the airport was relaunched as the Belfast Harbour Airport and finally began its very first commercial passenger flights. Soon after it was taken over by the Ferrovial Group, a Spanish construction and transportation company, and in 2006, it was officially named as the George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD), after the late Irish footballing legend, George Best, who was born in Belfast in 1946.
Facilities at Belfast City Airport are fairly comprehensive for a small airport, with currency exchange centres located on the ground floor near the Information Desk, as well as ATMs in both the check-in and departures areas. There are also postal facilities in the terminal and newspaper and gift shops, such as World News and tax-free products in Alpha Airport Shopping.
Belfast City Airport is also home to more than its fair share of coffee bars and a restaurant. With outlets such as Costa Coffee, the Deli Sandwich Bar and the News Café, there is no chance that you will go hungry here. For the best views of the apron, head to the upper Food Village.
Business facilities at Belfast City Airport can be found at the Conference Suite, where meeting rooms have full presentation facilities including a photocopier and a fax machine, secretarial services and a cafeteria. Internet access is also available at the airport.